Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships will also be meant to secure a method of getting very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal government and organizations.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be considered qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date for the 12 months where you use, you need to:
- be A canadian resident or even a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to keep a doctorate in another of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to use only one time towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit only 1 application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You mustn’t have gotten a postdoctoral honor (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really must have finished all demands of one’s doctoral degree you can forget than 2 yrs ahead of the deadline date of the season by which you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but alternatively the date upon which most of the needs of the level had been met, such as the effective defence and distribution regarding the corrected copy of the thesis. For candidates with additional than one doctoral level, the conclusion date of the newest doctoral level will likely to be utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within 2 yrs following a date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job dramatically interrupted because of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- For those who have completed a non-research based medical residency program once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job considerably interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or family-related obligations, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of the PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a kid, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- If you’re at the mercy of a protracted eligibility duration, you might be asked by NSERC to produce more information and/or supporting documents. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to assess your eligibility to your system. Then you may do so in the Special Circumstances section of the application if you wish to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that may have affected your performance and/or productivity.
Where is it possible to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research institutions in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can’t hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or in industrial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research that requires collaboration along with other Canadian organizations. The character regarding the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate into the host organization.
- You could hold a PDF abroad only when you have got gotten your doctorate from a institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with various research surroundings. You’re not permitted to put up your fellowship during the exact same organization (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories) for which you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you might request an exclusion that’ll be considered by the selection committee. The request must certanly be predicated on medical reasons (as an example, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or medical reasons (as an example, accessibility to specific gear), which can make it incredibly difficult for you really to keep an institution that is particular. Even when your exclusion is given, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by your PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to incorporate a alternative location for your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion is certainly not authorized.
- You might maybe perhaps not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, no matter if your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You could desire to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How can you use?
You are able to submit an application for a PDF by doing and publishing Form 201, attaching supporting documents if required. Browse the directions on the best way to complete Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications is going to be refused.
Except for individual email address, NSERC will maybe not accept any modifications or updates to the job after it was submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application based on the selection requirements described within the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. Remember that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are organized based on the after broad control groups:
- Civil and engineering that is industrial
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Plant and animal biology
The research topic rule (see directory of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) entered in the application shall figure out the choice committee when the application is likely to be examined. NSERC may designate the applying to a committee that is different it determines that the topic matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee people to consistently guard resistant to the risk of unconscious bias affecting the process that is decision-making whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including rising people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets for the applicant.
NSERC is functioning on the evidence that equity, variety and addition bolster the clinical and engineering communities therefore the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, variety and addition in the job to learn more.
In planning their application, applicants should consult the choice requirements and indicators part and Appendix an associated with my blog Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which gives helpful informative data on exactly what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Candidates must also read the Instructions for doing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are examined and selected in accordance with:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Communication, interpersonal and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates regarding the outcomes by the end of January. NSERC will likely not provide results by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To find out more, begin to see the usage of Ideas Act while the Privacy Act.
Conditions regarding the honor
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid parental leave, keeping the prize for a part-time foundation, etc.